Rory McIlroy and Cam Smith LIV Golf verdicts re-emerge before event at Donald Trump course | Golf | Sport

The opinions of the world’s best players on LIV Golf’s controversial tour have resurfaced ahead of the third rebel event in Bedminster this month. From July 29-31, a field of 48 defectors will visit Trump National Golf Club, including European Ryder Cup captain Henrik Stenson.

The Swede’s decision to walk away from one of golf’s most prestigious roles has undoubtedly dealt a seismic blow to the status quo, with the 2023 team tournament arguably already devalued. Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, Sergio Garcia and Paul Casey, all potential replacements for Stenson, are themselves ruled out for having already signed with Greg Norman’s company.

American stars Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Patrick Reed and Bryson DeChambeau will also be absent from Rome, as speculation mounts over which stars will be the next to jump ship. As it stands, 25 of the world’s top 30 players remain fully committed to the PGA and DP World Tours.

However, rumors persist that new Open champion Cam Smith is set to make a move, having refused to dismiss the idea immediately after his win at St Andrews. And now, an inews study has revisited the Australian and other top players’ views on LIV Golf, ahead of New Jersey’s third tournament.

JUST IN: Tiger Woods responds to retirement criticism with post-Open golf sessions in Spain

One of the most blunt critics of the new tour has been world number 21 Max Homa, who regularly took to Twitter to mock the changes in allegiance: “You can buy a tour, but you can’t. not buy my goals and my dreams”. was his view, in a clear insinuation, players would only move for money.

His sentiments were echoed by Jon Rahm, who said: “My heart is with the PGA Tour.” However, the intentions of world number 4 Patrick Cantlay remain a mystery, who in a response not unlike what Smith gave in Scotland, has previously said: “My team deals with all that stuff.”

Leave a Comment